What is a Visitor Visa?
A visitor visa is a document issued by a country’s government that allows the holder to enter and stay in the country for some time, usually for tourism or business purposes.
We are experienced in working on TRV, and our experts can help you submit your application as best as possible. If any concerns arise during the application process, our immigration consultants can help address these issues and increase the chances of a successful application.
A visitor visa does not allow the holder to work or study in the country being visited. If the purpose of the visit is for employment or education purposes, a different type of visa may be required. With proper planning and preparation, a visitor visa can provide an excellent opportunity to explore new cultures and conduct business abroad.
Who can apply?
Any foreign national wishing to visit Canada for tourism, business, or friends and family may apply for a visitor visa. The applicant must also convince the Canadian immigration authorities that they will leave Canada at the end of their authorized stay and will not engage in any unauthorized activities while in the country.
Check you meet the eligibility requirements
It is essential to ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements. These include:
- Valid passport: Your passport or travel document must be valid to return to your country of origin.
- Purpose of visit: You must have a clear and genuine purpose for visiting Canada, such as tourism, visiting family or friends, or attending a business conference.
- Financial support: You must have enough funds to cover your expenses while in Canada and to return home.
- No criminal history: You cannot have a criminal record or pose a security risk to Canada.
- Health requirements: You must be in good health and not have any medical conditions that could pose a risk to public health or safety in Canada.
- Intention to leave: You must demonstrate that you have ties to your home country, such as a job, family, or property, that will ensure your departure from Canada at the end of your authorized stay.
- Admissibility: You must not be inadmissible to Canada for any reason, such as a previous immigration violation or misrepresentation on a visa application.
Meeting these eligibility requirements is essential for successfully applying for a visitor visa to Canada.
The processing time can vary depending on the country of citizenship and the country where the application is submitted.
How long can you stay?
Once approved, the visitor visa will indicate how long the applicant can stay in Canada. Visitors should adhere to their visa conditions and leave Canada before it expires. Please do so to avoid difficulties applying for another visa or entering Canada.
Generally, visitors can stay in Canada for up to six months. However, the immigration officer at the port of entry may allow a shorter or longer stay, depending on individual circumstances.
Extending a Visit Visa
If visitors wish to extend their stay in Canada, they must apply for an extension at least 30 days before their visa expires. If your current visa expires while your extension application is still under process, you may remain in Canada while waiting for a decision, you will be on implied status.