What is LMIA?
Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is an approval document that an employer in Canada needs to get from ESDC, before hiring a foreign worker. The LMIA confirms that there is a need for foreign workers to fill the job and that no Canadian worker can do it. The LMIA process is an essential part of the Canadian immigration system, as it helps ensure that foreign workers are not taking away jobs from Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
Who needs a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
LMIA Application Requirements
- Employers must apply for Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC).
- Provide detailed information such as the job requirements, wages, working conditions, and other relevant details.
- Proof of advertising for the position to prove that no Canadian workers are available to do the job.
How to get approval for an LMIA to hire foreign workers?
- Identify the position as either a high-wage or low-wage position.
- Determine if the job you are offering is eligible for an LMIA. Certain positions, such as those in agriculture, do not qualify for an LMIA.
- Verify that the foreign worker has the qualifications and experience to fill the role.
- Submit an application to Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) outlining the job requirements, wages, working conditions, and other relevant details.
- After reviewing the application, ESDC will determine if an LMIA is necessary. If so, employers must submit additional information, such as a recruitment plan and proof of advertising for the position to prove that no Canadian worker is available to do the job.
- ESDC will review the information and assess the labor market impact of hiring a foreign worker. If approved, an LMIA will be issued.
- Once you have obtained an LMIA, you can then apply for a work permit for the foreign worker through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
LMIA Processing time
LMIA processing times vary depending on the type of job and location, and applications are processed within one to two months.
How Can I apply?
For professional guidance, you can seek help from Can-America Immigration Services. Please book a consultation with our licensed immigration professionals to discuss and apply for your LMIA work permit with the help of our experienced team.